In case you are planning on getting a tattoo but wish to skip on some of the pain caused during the process then you should consider using numbing cream. Such cream can be applied on your skin before getting the tattoo to help dull the pain although there are some creams/gels that have to be applied during the process.
In order to find the best tattoo numbing cream, you need to understand the different ingredients that make up the cream. The most common ingredients are lidocaine, benzocaine, prilocaine and tetracaine. Understanding what makes each tick will make your decision-making process that much easier.
This guide will help you understand what to look for when searching for numbing cream and how such products work.
Top 6 Tattoo Numbing Creams Table
Choose the best numbing cream and you will enjoy long lasting effect with a cream that can be applied before/during the session. Choose just about any cream and you might have to grind your teeth or scream in pain during the tattooing session!
What Active Ingredients Should the Numbing Cream Have?
Ideally, for numbing cream to be effective, it needs to have two active ingredients: Lidocaine and Benzocaine.
How Ingredients in Numbing Cream Work
The effectiveness of numbing cream will depend on the active ingredient it carries. Let’s have a look at the three basic categories of such ingredients:
- Lidocaine. Is a nerve deadener that stops pain signals before they start. Much as they are wonderful, they tend to remain at the surface of the skin thus being less effective which is something you don’t want if you intend to get a tattoo. In order for nerve deadeners to work wonders; they need to be mixed with vasoconstrictor or nerve blocker.
- Tetraacaine and Benzocain. Are ingredients useful in blocking nerves thereby preventing them from registering huge amounts of pain when you are pricked. They work best when combined with nerve deadeners in order to avoid involuntary flinching as the tattoo artist works on your tattoo.
- Epinephrine. Is a common ingredient in vasoconstrictors-the most powerful numbing agent. Vasoconstrictors work in such a way that they cause blood vessels to constrict which in turn helps reduce bleeding. They are great for use during the tattooing session.
Does PH Level Matter?
While searching for the best tattoo numbing cream, you should pay attention to the PH level. Ideally, you should go for numbing cream that has PH that is less than 7. This is because a large amount of alkaline tends to alter the pigment thereby altering the tattoo’s color. Unfortunately, discovering the PH level in numbing cream is not always easy.
Applying Tattoo Numbing Cream
In order to enjoy great results from your numbing cream, you need to:
- Ensure that the skin is clean and free of dead skin or oil.
- Apply the cream before the tattooing session-preferably one hour prior to. This is with the exception of creams that are specifically meant to be applied during the session.
- Use about ¼ inch thick layer of numbing cream on the tattoo area and then proceed to spread it evenly.
How Long Does Numbing Cream Last When Applied?
Typically, numbing cream is applied one or two hours before the tattooing session. The numbing effects can last anywhere between 60 and 90 minutes-sometimes longer depending on the cream selected.
Top 3 Best Tattoo Numbing Cream Reviews
Greencaine Numbing Cream comprises of a non-greasy Aloe Vera formula with 4% lidocaine hydrochloride. It soaks right into the skin while leaving no residues. You only require a little light rubbing to get the cream to soak right into the skin. It is not oil-based which means that the tattooing session will not involve slipping equipment.
You might want to apply a moderately thick layer of this cream on the area you intend to tattoo about an hour prior to the tattooing session for the best numbing effects. You should start feeling the numbing effects approximately 45minutes after application.
The 4 Oz tube it comes in provides an adequate amount of numbing cream that can be comfortably used on about 4 medium-sized tattoos.
Lidocaine Blue Gel is packed with essential ingredients to make for a wonderful numbing cream. It contains 4% Lidocaine, 2% tetracaine and a vascular constrictor that helps reduce bruising, swelling and bleeding.
Lidocaine Blue Gel unlike other numbing creams/products has to be used on broken skin. Once the anesthetic effect has set in, it is important to remove the product before continuing with the tattooing session.
As a tip, you should avoid re-applying Blue Gel to the same treatment area since it can damage the skin in addition to affecting the quality of the tattoo or its healing. It absorbs easily and doesn’t affect the tattoo color.
It does work relatively fast (2-5 minutes) after application and the effects can last for at least 2 hours.
Ultra Numb Anesthetic Skin Numbing cream helps relieve pain during the tattooing session. This water based product doesn’t leave residues when applied. You should feel the numbing effects 3-4 hours after application depending on your skin type and the location of the body where the tattoo will be placed.
Ultra Numb contains 6% Lidocaine thus making it one of the strongest numbing creams on the market. As a tip, you might want to ensure that the tattoo area doesn’t dry out before the numbing effects take over. In order to ensure this, you should cover the area with Saran wrap after applying the cream and let it sit for about 30 minutes.