Coconut oil has numerous benefits –both inside and outside the body. Finding the best coconut oil for skin is not a matter of walking into the store and buying the first ‘coconut oil’ you find. There are a number of things you should consider before buying the oil. For example, you should decide on what you will be using it for. Some people love coconut oil that can go on the stove (cooking) and can at the same time be used in skin/ hair care.
This guide will help you understand the different categories and types of coconut oils on the market and given you an idea of what to look for.
Top 10 Coconut Oils for Skin Comparison Table
What Makes Coconut Oil So Special for the Skin?
Thanks to its low molecular weight, coconut oil is able to penetrate deeper into the skin thus providing it essential nutrients that translate to a radiant-looking skin. There are a number of benefits attached to coconut oil including:
- It helps retain moisture content in the skin.
- Helps protect the skin from microbial infections.
- Repairs the skin and gives it a healthy glow.
- Delays the aging process.
- It is a great skin softener.
- Can be used on chapped lips as a lip balm.
- It is a great makeup remover.
- Can be used on fee to soften them and get rid of cracks.
Ingredients That Make Coconut Oil Awesome
- Saturated Fats. It is packed with saturated fats that help maintain moisture in the skin thereby leaving it looking healthy and feeling smooth with an even tone overtime.
- Capric/ Caprylic/ Lauric Acid. Technically speaking, these acids are not much different to the saturated fats. However, their distinguishing feature is that they come with strong disinfectant and antimicrobial properties that help protect the skin against microbial infections.
- Vitamin E. Coconut oil is packed with Vitamin E which is essential for healthy skin growth. Vitamin E not only helps repair wear and tear on the skin but it also helps prevent premature aging and wrinkling of the skin.
Refined Coconut Oil or Virgin Coconut Oil
When searching for the best coconut oil for skin, you will come across refined coconut oil and virgin coconut oil. But what is the difference? Virgin coconut oil is basically coconut oil that undergoes the least amount of refining process compared to refined coconut oil. In other words, it is closer to the actual oil that you would get from the inside of the coconut meat.
Refined coconut oil is refined, bleached and deodorized. This means that it is filtered to remove impurities and stripped of odor leaving you with a product that has a very bland taste and little or no odor.
Both types of coconut oil still have the essential fatty acid with the only difference being that refined coconut oil is stripped of some of its nutrients. For example, virgin coconut oil has higher antioxidants compared to refined coconut oil.
Refined oils are the most common variety in the market today.
Different Types of Refined Coconut Oils
- If the coconut oil you intend on buying has no description and is simply referred to as ‘coconut oil’ then it is most probably a RBD (Refined, Bleached and Deodorised) coconut oil.
- Hydrogenated coconut oil is basically oil that has been further processed to increase its melting point. If you wish to use your coconut oil as edible oil then you should DEFINITELY steer clear of hydrogenated coconut oil!
- Fractionated coconut oil/ liquid oil is oil that had lauric acid removed. Such oils are commonly used in skin care products.
Top 5 Best Coconut Oil for Skin Reviews
Nature’s Way Extra Virgin Organic Coconut oil contains no artificial ingredients, Trans fat, chemical solvents, glutens or preservatives. This certified organic product can be used in many different ways. You can use it for cooking, in your hair and on your skin-all with great results!
You get a wonderful moisturizer with this product that makes for softer, healthy-looking skin. In addition, if you have a problem of cracking lips then you will love its healing properties.
Right after you get out of the shower (before reaching for the towel to dry your body), apply Nature’s Way Organic Coconut oil to your skin. This will help the coconut oil penetrate into your skin without leaving a greasy feeling. Overtime, you will notice amazing radiant skin. It will help reduce pores, even out your tone and minimize breakouts on your skin.
Viva Labs the finest organic extra virgin coconut oil is unrefined, cold-pressed, extra-virgin oil that is kosher and gluten free. This is another amazing product to incorporate in your daily skin-care regime. It has multiple uses such as cooking, baking, skin and hair care and is 100% organic.
If you have dry skin then you will appreciate the moisture levels this coconut oil will introduce to your skin. Overtime, you will notice, healthier, radiant skin that is no longer dry to the touch. If yours is not dry skin but you have a problem with dry, rough elbows and heels then you will love the healing properties of this coconut oil. You will be left with smoother elbows and heels with frequent use!
This high-quality coconut oil is vegan-friendly and has no heavy coconut taste or odor.
Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil contains 63% medium chin triglycerides and 50% lauric acid. This cold-pressed product can be used for cooking, baking as well as in skin and hair care. It is a wonderful natural skin moisturizer that will leave your skin radiantly soft. It smells great and tastes even better when used in cooking.
In addition, you can use this oil as an eye cream, makeup remover or shaving cream with tremendous results.
If you wish to get rid of dead skin cells then you can use Nutiva organic coconut oil as a body scrub. Simply mix equal parts of coconut sugar and coconut oil-scrub your body and end up with refreshingly beautiful skin.
Nutiva organic oil is made from fresh coconuts and is free from harmful chemicals or additives.
Carrington Farms organic extra virgin coconut oil is gluten free and free of hydrogenated and Trans fats. This makes it an excellent choice if you are looking to add healthy fats in your diet. This product is pure, unrefined, cold-pressed and can be used in a number of ways. It can be used in cooking, baking as well as skin and hair care.
It does wonders on dry skin leaving it feeling soft, smooth and looking radiant with frequent use. It will nourish and moisturize your skin leaving it radiantly beautiful. In order to reap maximum benefits from it, use apply coconut oil to your skin immediately after showering so that it penetrates deep into your skin.
Fractionated oil from pure acres farm boosts of a longer shelf life and increased stability thanks to certain components being removed. This product is great for your skin and hair and with frequent use; you will notice a wonderful improvement on booth.
When applied to the skin, this product will provide it with deep nourishing benefits that will leave it feeling soft to the touch. It doesn’t clog pores and comes with natural antioxidant and disinfectant properties that make for healthy-looking skin.
If you suffer from moderate eczema or acne-prone skin then you will reap the benefits of using the oil religiously between showers. You don’t have to worry about greasy residue with this product as it dissolves easily into the skin.
Fractionated coconut oil from pure acres farm is particularly great for massage. It will leave you feeling refreshed with beautiful skin that glows. You can also use this product for cooking since it is able to withstand very high heat. It is odorless and tasteless.